Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Australia, England, South Africa, West Indies — Can West Indies Make It A Hat-Trick of World Cups?
Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads analysis time.
This might be toughest group of all. West Indies & England, the two finalists from last time, will go head-to-head in this group with wounded Australia & South Africa waiting to make their statement.
From the initial table, we might potentially see the likes of Sri Lanka/Netherlands and Scotland in this group. Without further ado, here is the detailed squad analysis — Most Balanced, Surprise Exclusions, In-Form Inclusions and Predictions!
T20 World Cup Groups
In the mini-qualifier group, there are two groups (Group A & B) of 4 teams each, top 2 of which will go in the main round (Group 1 and 2).
Group A has teams Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, and Sri Lanka, while Group B has teams Bangladesh, Oman, Papua New Guinea, and Scotland.
Group 1AustraliaEnglandSouth AfricaWest IndiesA1B2T20 World Cup 2021: Group 1 Table
The other group, Group 2, will have India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and New Zealand.
Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads
Australia T20 World Cup Squad
Batters Spin Bowling All-RoundersMedium Pace All-RoundersWicket-KeepersSpin BowlersFast BowlersAaron Finch Ashton AgarMitchell MarshJosh Inglis Mitchell SwepsonPat CumminsSteven SmithGlenn MaxwellMarcus StoinisMatthew WadeAdam ZampaMitchell StarcDavid WarnerJosh HazlewoodDaniel SamsKane RichardsonDan ChristianNathan EllisGroup 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads: Australia
Australia Probable XI
- Matthew Wade (WK), 2. David Warner, 3. Aaron Finch ©, 4. Steven Smith, 5. Glenn Maxwell, 6. Mitchell Marsh, 7. Marcus Stoinis, 8. Pat Cummins, 9. Mitchell Starc/Swepson, 10. Josh Hazlewood, 11. Adam Zampa
- Average Age: 31
- Unlucky to Miss Out: Moises Henriques, D’arcy Short, Josh Philippe, Jhye Richardson, Andrew Tye, Riley Meredith, Ashton Turner, Alex Carey
- Surprise Inclusions: Dan Christian (5 sixes saved him), Nathan Ellis (recent hat-trick keeps him in contention)
- Watch Out For: The Finishers — Maxwell, in-form Marsh, Stoinis
- Recent Results: Lost to Bangladesh 4–1. Lost to West Indies 4–1.
- Prediction: Rank 4th in Group 1. Will unfortunately fail to Go to the semi-finals yet again.
Does Australia Have It In Them To Win the T20 World Cup?
Australia have a balanced squad with the return of Warner, Smith, Maxwell, and Stoinis. The Bangladesh series saw several players losing their spots, but is this almost ODI-esque batting line up good enough in 2021? Maxwell, Stoinis gives them extra bowling options and Wade, if consistent, can be dangerous at the top.
The batting order is an issue since this group has not played together. Marsh has done well at 3 and Wade has been impactful as an opener. Warner-Smith will cause the batting order to reshuffle, futher breaking the consistency within this Australian team.
England T20 World Cup Squad
Batters Spin Bowling All-RoundersMedium Pace All-RoundersWicket-KeepersSpin BowlersFast BowlersEoin MorganMoeen AliSam CurranJonny BairstowAdil RashidTymal MillsDawid MalanLiam LivingstoneChris JordanJos ButtlerMark WoodJason RoyDavid WilleySam BillingsChris WoakesJames VinceLiam DawsonTom CurranGroup 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads: England
England Probable XI
- Jason Roy, 2. Jos Buttler (WK), 3. Dawid Malan/Moeen Ali, 4. Jonny Bairstow, 5. Eoin Morgan ©, 6. Liam Livingstone, 7. Sam Curran/David Willey, 8. Chris Jordan, 9. Mark Wood, 10. Tymal Mills, 11. Adil Rashid
- Average Age: 31
- Unlucky to Miss Out: Matt Parkinson/Saqib Mahmood/Tom Banton/Reece Topley (not picked), Jofra Archer, Ben Stokes (injury/personal reasons), James Vince (reserves), Alex Hales/Joe Root (never in contention but could have been handy). Read this to check the entire 44 players who were in contention.
- Surprise Inclusions: Tymal Mills
- Watch Out For: Liam Livingstone, in his form of his life. Contender for the longest six?
- Recent Results: Won 2–1 Vs Pakistan. Won 3–0 Vs Sri Lanka.
- Prediction: Rank 2nd in Group 1. Might lose one or two (Netherlands upset again?) before gathering momentum and edging to the semi-finals on net run-rate.
Does England Have It In Them To Win the T20 World Cup?
Talented squad no doubt, but some selection does not make complete sense. Curran, Jordan, Willey, Woakes and Tom Curran in reserves? Why is there a need for 4–5 fast bowling all-rounders. And Mark Wood can tonk it with the bat as well. A leg spinner in Matt Parkison would have been a good choice given the conditions and his recent international/ Hundred form.
Moeen Ali & Liam Livingstone will bowl part-time spin, but watch out for a rejuvenated Tymal Mills. X factor of the WC? Can England go one step further this time around? Last hurrah for Eoin Morgan?
South Africa T20 World Cup Squad
Batters Spin Bowling All-RoundersMedium Pace All-RoundersWicket-KeepersSpin BowlersFast BowlersTemba BavumaKeshav MaharajWiaan MulderQuinton de KockTabraiz ShamsiKagiso RabadaRassie van der DussenDwaine PretoriousHeinrich KlaasenBjorn FortuinAnrich NortjeAiden MarkramLungi NgidiDavid MillerReeza HendricksGeorge LindeAndile Phehlukwayo Lizaad WilliamsGroup 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads: South Africa
South Africa Probable XI
- Aiden Markram, 2. Quinton de Kock (WK), 3. Temba Bavuma*, 4. Rassie van der Dussen, 5. David Miller, 6. Heinrich Klassen, 7. Dwaine Pretorious, 8. Anrich Nortje, 9. Kagiso Rabada, 10. Keshav Maharaj, 11. Tabraiz Shamsi
- Average Age: 29
- Unlucky to Miss Out: George Linde (reserves), Imran Tahir, Faf Du Plessis, Chris Morris, Janneman Malan
- Surprise Inclusions: Bjorn Fortuin, Reeza Hendricks
- Watch Out For: Tabraiz Shamsi, #1 ICC T20I bowler. Has wreaked heavoc in T20Is around the world last year.
- Recent Results: Ahead 2–0 in 3-match series Vs Sri Lanka, Won 3–2 Vs West Indies
- Prediction: Rank 3rd in Group 1. Will start in the Top 2, but might narrowly miss out due to net run rate or a streak of losses at the end.
Does South Africa Have It In Them To Win the T20 World Cup?
A competitive team that is perhaps missing the winning edge. Experience of Kagiso Rabada-Anrich Nortje from their brilliant IPL 2020 at UAE will matter, since the World T20 is also staged at the same place. Spin is expected to play a role, and Tabraiz Shamsi has been an absolute star over the past year. Rabada-Nortje-Ngidi and Shamsi-Maharaj is a strong T20 bowling side and with Quinton de Kock-Markram-Miller-van der Dussen forming the batting core, South Africa have a competitive T20I side but the reserves are thin.
Several selection questions for South Africa. George Linde has been a breakout star for SA in the past year, playing the Mitchell Santner sort of role. Another left-arm spinner Fortuin has been named, while Linde is in the reserves.
Faf du Plessis just made a 120* in the CPL and was coming back into form after the concussion, and Imran Tahir was still a threat in The Hundred. One has to ask, the ‘conversations’ between Smith-Boucher and free agents AB De Villiers, Faf, Morris, and Tahir that seemed to be going well at one stage — how did it fall apart?
West Indies T20 World Cup Squad
Batters Spin Bowling All-RoundersMedium Pace All-RoundersWicket-KeepersSpin BowlersFast BowlersAndre FletcherFabian AllenKieron PollardNicholas PooranHayden Walsh Jr.Obed McCoyChris GayleRoston ChaseDwayne BravoLendl SimmonsRavi RampaulShimron HetmyerAndre RussellOshane ThomasEvin LewisDarren BravoJason HolderAkeal HoseinSheldon CottreellGroup 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads: West Indies
- Evin Lewis, 2. Lendl Simmons, 3. Chris Gayle, 4. Shimron Hetmyer, 5. Nicholas Pooran, 6. Kieron Pollard ©, 7. Andre Russell, 8. Fabian Allen, 9. Dwayne Bravo, 10. Hayden Walsh Jr., 11. Obed McCoy/Ravi Rampaul
- Average Age: 31
- Unlucky to Miss Out: Jason Holder (reserves), Sherfane Rutherford, Sunil Narine, Fidel Edwards, Kevin Sinclair, Rovman Powell, Romario Shepherd, Alzarri Joseph, Kennar Lewis, Odean Smith, Kesrick Williams, Carlos Brathwaite. For a detailed player-by-player analysis for each of the 42 players in contention, read here.
- Surprise Inclusions: Roston Chase, Ravi Rampaul
- Watch Out For: Fabian Allen, the find of West Indies’ home T20I series. Provides Pollard & Russell the breathing space and freedom to play their natural game knowing that Allen can still finish the game off. Also provides balance with left arm spin.
- Recent Results: Won 2–1 Vs Sri Lanka, Lost 2–3 Vs South Africa, Won 4–1 Vs Australia, Won 1–0 Vs Pakistan
- Prediction: Rank 1st in Group 1. Might get surprised by an Associate team, but should sweep the rest.
Does West Indies Have It In Them To Win the T20 World Cup?
Ravi Rampaul & Roston Chase, the highest wicket taker & run scorer of CPL 2021 so far, are the big winners. However, Rutherford and Romario Shepherd will find themselves a bit unlucky not to even find a reserve spot despite a good show in the CPL.
The XI basically picks itself, with each player a match-winner in their own right. The only questions are Simmons vs Fletcher and Rampaul Vs McCoy. Chase might not make the XI initially, but if it is a low scoring spin pitch, expect him to play that ‘Marlon Samuels’ role.
West Indies will miss stalwarts and lucky charms Sunil Narine & Carlos Brathwaite, but they have plenty of options to go without them. Good balance of youth & experience — will it be a fairytale hat-trick ending for Chris Gayle and co?
If you like this content on Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads, please subscribe above for FREE and follow us on our social media accounts.
Follow us here if you are on Medium or Bloglovin’.
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, 2021. Originally published on 09/12/2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).