Group A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka — Can Sri Lanka Spin Their Way Out of Trouble?
Time for Group A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads analysis.
In the mini-qualifier group, there are two groups (Group A & B) of 4 teams each, top 2 of which will go in the main round (Group 1 and 2). Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, and Sri Lanka form ‘qualifying group of death,’ Group A. Group B has teams Bangladesh, Oman, Papua New Guinea, and Scotland.
In the main draw, 4 qualifier teams will join either Group 1 (Australia, England, South Africa, West Indies) or Group 2, (India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and New Zealand).
Here is the detailed squad analysis — Most Balanced, Surprise Exclusions, In-Form Inclusions and Predictions!
Also Read: Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Australia, England, South Africa, West Indies, Group 2 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, New Zealand
Ireland T20 World Cup Squad
Batters Spin Bowling All-RoundersMedium Pace All-RoundersWicket-KeepersSpin BowlersFast BowlersAndy BalbirnieSimi SinghKevin O’BrienNeil RockJosh LittleHarry TectorPaul StirlingCurtis CampherAndy McBrineGeorge DockrellMark AdairBarry McCarthyGareth DelanyShane GetkateGraham KennedyLoran TuckerBen WhiteCraig YoungGroup A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads: Ireland
Ireland Probable XI
- Paul Stirling, 2. Kevin O’Brien, 3. Andy Balbirnie ©, 4. Harry Tector, 5. Shane Getkate, 6. George Dockrell, 7. Neil Rock (WK), 8. Simi Singh, 9. Curtis Campher, 10. Mark Adair, 11. Josh Little/ Andy McBrine
- Average Age: 27
- Unlucky to Miss Out: William McClintock, Craig Young (reserves)
- Surprise Inclusions: Graham Kennedy
- Watch Out For: Paul Stirling, the best ODI player of 2020, and Curtis Campher, a potential world class allrounder for the future
- Current T20I Ranking: 12th
- Recent Results: Won 3–2 Vs Zimbabwe
- Prediction: Rank 4th in Group A. I just do not see this Ireland side going too far.
Does Ireland Have It In Them to Qualify for the Next Round?
Ireland just won a T20I series but T20 cricket is not their strength. If Ireland are to do well, their all rounders and power hitters have to come to the fore to support the steadiness that Balbirnie-Tector provide in the middle.
Namibia T20 World Cup Squad
Batters Spin Bowling All-RoundersMedium Pace All-RoundersWicket-KeepersSpin BowlersFast BowlersStephan BaardGerhard ErasmusDavid WieseZane GreenBen ShikongoKarl BirkenstockBernard ScholtzJJ SmitMichael van LingenMichau du PreezJan FrylinckJan Nicol Loftie-EatonRuben TrumpelmannCraig WilliamsPikky Ya FranceMauritius NgupitaGroup A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads: Namibia
Australia Probable XI
- Stephan Baad, 2. Craig Williams, 3. JJ Smit, 4. Gerhard Erasmus ©, 5. Jan Nicol Loftie-Eaton, 6. David Wiese, 7. Zane Green (WK), 8. Michau du Preez, 9. Jan Frylinck, 10. Bernard Scholtz, 11. Ben Shikongo
- Average Age: 27
- Watch Out For: Gerhard Erasmus, player of the 2019 T20 World Cup Qualifier. He has a T20I average of 40.33 at a 141.10 SR with 5 fifties. That is a great record, even if it is against Associate nations.
- Unlucky to Miss Out: JP Kotze, Zhivago Groeneweld (retired)
- Current T20I Ranking: 19th
- Recent Results: Won Vs Uganda 3–0
- Prediction: Rank 3rd in Group A. At least one upset around the corner?
Does Namibia Have It In Them to Qualify for the Next Round?
The dark horse of the qualifying group. Qualifying for the first time in a World Cup since 2003, this has been one of the feel-good stories of recent times. The big story is that David Wiese, a star in the CPL and PSL, who has represented South Africa at the international level (even 2016 T20 Worl Cup) will now represent Namibia due to his paternal heritage.
Netherlands T20 World Cup Squad
Batters Spin Bowling All-RoundersMedium Pace All-RoundersWicket-KeepersSpin BowlersFast BowlersStephan MyburgPieter SeelarRyan Ten DoeschateScott EdwardsPhilippe BoissevainTimm van der GugtenMax O’DowdColin AckermanFred KlassenBen CooperRoelof van der MerweLogan van BeekBas de LeedeBrandon GloverPaul van MeekerenTobias ViseeShane SnaterGroup A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads: Netherlands
Netherlands Probable XI
- Max O’Dowd, 2. Stephan Myburg, 3. Ben Cooper, 4. Bas de Leede, 5. Ryan Ten Doeschate, 6. Pieter Seelar ©, 7. Scott Edwards (WK), 8. Roelof van der Merwe, 9. Timm van der Gugten, 10. Philippe Boissevain, 11. Paul van Meekeren
- Average Age: 30
- Surprise Inclusions: Ryan Ten Doeschate, Roelof van der Merwe
- Watch Out For: Max O’Dowd, has been in a bit of form earlier this year
- Current T20I Ranking: 17th
- Recent Results: Won 2, Lost 2, Tied 1 in the Nepal Tri-Nation T20I series (lost finals) alongside Nepal & Malaysia
- Prediction: Rank 1st in Group A. Gut feeling that they will win against Sri Lanka and might upset another major team in the main draw if they qualify.
Does Netherlands Have It In Them to Qualify for the Next Round?
They definitely have the ingredients. Max O’Dowd-Myburg form a potent opening partnership on which Doeschate-Seelar-der Merwe can build upon. Paul van Meekeren became the first Dutch player to play in the CPL and that experience will help out. Expect van der Gugten-van Meekeren to shoulder the pace bowling responsibilities.
Sri Lanka T20 World Cup Squad
Batters Spin Bowling All-RoundersMedium Pace All-RoundersWicket-KeepersSpin BowlersFast BowlersAvishka FernandoWanindu Hasaranaga de SilvaDasun ShanakaDinesh ChandimalMahesh TheekshanaDushmantha ChameeraBhanuka RajapaksaDhananjaya de SilvaLahiru MadushankaKusal PereraPraveen JayawickramaNuwan PradeepCharith AsalankaChamika KarunaratneKamindu MendisBinura FernandoPulina TharangaAkila DhananjayaLahiru KumaraGroup A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads: Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka Probable XI
- Kusal Perera (WK), 2. Bhanuka Rajapaksa, 3. Avishka Fernando, 4. Dinesh Chandimal, 5. Dhananjaya de Silva, 6. Wanindu Hasaranga, 7. Dasun Shanaka ©, 8. Nuwan Pradeep, 9. Dushmantha Chameera, 10. Mahesh Theekshana, 11. Praveen Jayawickrama
- Average Age: 27
- Unlucky to Miss Out: Angelo Mathews (contract issue), Minod Bhanuka (not picked), Kusal Mendis, Niroshan Dickwella, Danushka Gunathilika (suspension)
- Surprise Inclusions: Mahesh Theekshana
- Watch Out For: Theekshana, Jayawickrama, and Hasaranga — the spin trio
- Current T20I Ranking: 10th
- Recent Results: Currently Losing 0–2 to South Africa, Lost 0–3 to England, Lost 1–2 to West Indies
- Prediction: Rank 2nd in Group A
Does Sri Lanka Have It In Them to Qualify for the Next Round?
Sri Lanka are currently on a losing streak and have been in transition for half a decade, but 2021 might be where the tide turns. With the bat, de Silva and Avishka Fernando are chipping in with consistent performances to support Perera, Chandimal, and Shanaka.
Hasaranga has been a revelation (#2 ICC ranked bowler), can bat at the top and finish games off and can bowl anywhere in the lineup. Sri Lanka have also found mystery spinner Theekshana and left arm spinner Jayawickrama (apart from Test spinner Embuldeniya and reserve Dhananjaya). Pacers Chameera-Pradeep cap off a balanced bowling attack.
If you like this content on Group A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads, please subscribe above for FREE and follow us on our social media accounts.
Follow us here if you are on Medium or Bloglovin’.
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, 2021. Originally published on 09/12/2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).